Re: AW: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: chris(at)bitmead(dot)com
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Subject: Re: AW: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Date: 2000-08-25 15:18:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > Just because ppl are referring to the project by the wrong name doesn't
> > make it right...
>
> Which do you prefer? To be the only one who is right, when everyone else
> is wrong. Or to change the definition of right so that the software is
> universally called by its correct name?

Hmmm. Let's make a little table, shall we?

Proper name Nickname
----------- --------
Chevrolet Chevy
PostgreSQL Postgres
Christopher Chris
Marcus Marc
Robert Bob
Richard Rick

Since I don't see Chevrolet changing their name to Chevy just because
everyone calls it that, or Christopher Chris, Marcus Marc, Robert Bob,
etc. why do you feel it necessary to change PostgreSQL to Postgres?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com