Re: Changes to handling version numbers internally

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changes to handling version numbers internally
Date: 2000-07-03 01:41:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:
> > It doesn't sound to me like something that *belongs* in,
> > as it is not required for any tests that configure requires ...
> This way we can also make it available to shell scripts and make
> files. The next autoconf version will have built-in support for this
> setup, so it's not like I'm making this up. :)

I see you've already committed the changes, which I still disagree with
... I don't like the fact that someone has to remember to update the and autoconf it to change the version number.  We already
have the mess with template files, why not create a VERSION file that
could just as easily be read in by configure, without having to do an
autoconf, to change the version?