Re: More "IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed" errors

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)newcastle(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More "IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed" errors
Date: 2000-06-16 17:10:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Okay, my first question is is *what* OS are you running on? I get this
sort of error under Solaris if I use a defautl install of both the OS and
PostgreSQL, and have to use the -B option to reduce the number of segments
that PostgreSQL wants to configure ...

v6.5.3, I believe it was, changed the IPC usage so that it allocates all
it needs when you start, vs growing as required, so that it pre-allocates
... so if you were using a pre-"this code" version and moving up, this
might be triggering your problem ...

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Sean Kelly wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> A couple of weeks ago I reported a problem installing both 7.0 and
> 7.0.2 where attempting to start "postmaster" produced an "IpcMemoryCreate:
> shmget failed"-type error.
>
> Tom Lane suggested I use the "ipcclean" application to remove
> the "old shmem segments".
>
> Running "ipcclean" with 7.0.2 gave "ipcclean: nothing removed" as
> the result "but postmaster" still gave the same "IpcMemoryCreate: shmget
> failed" error.
>
> So ... I deleted this 7.0.2 installation and decided to go back to
> 6.5.3. This installed, but when trying to start "postmaster" I got:
>
> ----- - - -----
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Permission denied) key=5432010, size=120, permission=700
> IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Permission denied) id=130
> FATAL 1: AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment
> ----- - - -----
>
> So, I ran ipcclean that comes with 6.5.3 which finished with no
> messages, but "postmaster" still gives the "IpcMemoryCreate: shmget
> failed".
>
> Hence, I cannot run PostgreSQL on this system any more :(
>
> Any suggestions? Is there a way that v7 could check for these old
> segments from v6 and remove them? Is this even the problem here? Any
> other ways to clear these suspected old segments at all?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> --
> Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)ncl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
> "The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org