Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside a transaction block

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside a transaction block
Date: 2000-03-08 05:49:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Let the tables be named by OID, and only OID. Then, for admins' convenience,
> put in a flat file that is updated periodically, similarly to pg_pwd being a
> flat text dump of pg_shadow. Since there's going to have to be a system
> table mapping table names to OID's anyway, a flat dump of said system table
> should be similarly done as pg_pwd. Call it pg_realnames or something. Have
> it have two columns: OID, and pathname (relative to PGDATA) of table.

This I would be against ... I personally hate the whole pg_hba.conf,
pg_pwd, etc 'flatfiles' ...

But, could there not be some way of 'extracting extended data' from the
backend? ie. some sort of \d command that would provide you with
tablename+path+disk size+??

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org