RE: [HACKERS] Re: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Re: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN
Date: 2000-02-28 03:40:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> [...]

Okay, just curious here, but ... what you are proposing *sounds* to me
like half-way to what started this thread. (*Please* correct me if I'm
wrong) ...

Essentially, in your proposal, when you drop a column, all subsequent
tuples inserted/updated would have ... that one column missing? So,
instead of doing a massive sweep through the table and removing that
column, only do it when an insert/update happens?

Basically, eliminate the requirement to re-write every tuples, only those
that have activity?