PClabs Survey, Part I: Administration (resend)

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PClabs Survey, Part I: Administration (resend)
Date: 2000-01-31 21:41:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Missed part of this one in my cut-n-paste :(

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

=================

PCLabs is doing a survey of RDBMSs, and has requested that we answer the
following survey. As one file, its over 250 lines long, so I'm breaking
into multiple parts, to make the 'thread' smaller. Some of this is
obvious, but would rather make sure then risk feeding mis-information :)

In this one, they talk about 'graphical tools', so I'm CC'ng
pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, in the hopes that both
Constantin(pgaccess) and Dave (PgAdmin) will jump into the thread and
answer those questions...

==========
Administration
- graphical tools for
- database administration
- installing the database server
- creating and managing databases
- creating and managing disk devices
- creating and managing users
- creating and managing indicies
- creating and managing stored procedures
- backup and restore operations
- creating and managing replication links
- Web publishing
- database diagramming tools
- viewing and entering data into database tables
- submitting SQL commands and viewing results
- send a message to all logged-in database users
- database perforformance tuning
- configuring server engine options
- viewing the SQL commands currently executing
- detecting resource-intensive queries
- killing selected queries
- graphing overall server engine statistics
- single statement graphical execution plan display
- SQL rewrite suggestions for a single SQL statement
- index suggestions for a single SQL statement
- index suggestions for overall server (based on actual usage)
- pre-calculation (summary table) suggestions (based on actual usage)
- baselining and then tracking server performance over time
- administration tools can be run from a 4.x Web browser
- data file import and export tools
- for ASCII text files
- for native format database data files
- database data files can be directly moved from one database to another

- scripting support
- tools have command-line access
- can reverse-engineer database objects to a SQL script
- can reverse-engineer database data to a SQL script
- languages supplied for command scripting
- security
- security audit log of administrator and user activity
- can set security by user or by group
- can set password qualification rules (minimum length, non-repeatabilitity)
- can set permissions on a table or view
- can set permissions on a particular column
- can set permissions on a particular row
- job scheduler
- by time
- by event
- Web publishing