Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping
Date: 2000-01-25 06:50:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Don Baccus wrote:

> At 12:08 AM 1/25/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >> Dropping constraints on a table just because you drop a column is
> >> just butt-ugly.
>
> >We aren't charging 100k either. We do what we can, and spend time where
> >it is most valuable.
>
> Perhaps I've misunderstood, then...I'd thought part of the goal was to
> compete with the 100K model without charging 100K...
>
> If not, OK.
>
> (BTW, Oracle for development is free and you can actually cruise with
> that for some time. A five-user license for non-internet use costs
> $1450 for Linux)
>
> And further BTW...some folks recently went through a little handwringing
> upon hearing the Interbase will be released in free, open source form.
>
> And there's a recent, though not current, Sybase version available for
> Linux users for free, too...
>
> If the point's not to be competitive with other free or low cost options,
> is there any point at all?
>
> Is it time for me to apologize for having high standards?

Not necessarily ... only for expecting more from volunteers then they are
willing, or have time, to put forth ...

Where does Sybase make its money? Oracle? Inbase? In Oracle's case, it
is what we work with *heavily* at my *real* job, and I know where they
make their money ... support contracts that we never use ...

PostgreSQL, Inc was created 6+ months ago to provide a means of clients
getting commerical support, and it does enough to keep things afloat, but
rich we are not getting ... my *hope* when forming this was that we could
generate enough revenues to go out and hire someone to deal with features
that are so time-consuming that they are difficult to implement ... its a
slow growth ... maybe in 6mos we'll be able to do this ... we keep coming
up with new ways of increasing revenues and we dedicate a certain
percentage of each to a 'kitty' to be used for PostgreSQL related projects
... that kitty is small, but growing ...

We try with those resources we have ...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org