Re: [GENERAL] UPDATE cell from text file

From: "Jason C(dot) Wells" <jcwells(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: Bob Kline <bkline(at)rksystems(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] UPDATE cell from text file
Date: 1999-10-24 10:42:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Bob Kline wrote:

>Just out of curiosity, what's the drawback of a perl script here? It
>would be pretty trivial.

> open BAF, "$ARGV[0]" or die "Can't open $ARGV[0]: $!";
> $contents = "";
> while (read, BAF, $buf, 10240) { $contents .= $buf; }
> $sth = $dbh->prepare("UPDATE website
> SET content = ?
> WHERE filename = ?");
> $sth->execute($content, $ARGV[1]) or die $DBI::errstr;

Thank you for your reply.

The drawback of perl is that I use it so often that I have to relearn it
from scratch every time I use it. :( In fact, my perl is so weak, I cannot
read your script without opening up the book. I will make good use of your
reply.

I was hoping there was an SQL construct but I half suspected there was
not.

Thank You, | http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells | "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither