Re: [BUGS] Running queries on inherited tables

From: Michael Richards <miker(at)scifair(dot)acadiau(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Running queries on inherited tables
Date: 1999-09-12 18:41:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-sql

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> You have to say "alter table cities*", I believe, otherwise only cities
> is changed. Which is pretty broken --- if inheritance means anything,
> then it ought to mean that the alteration is *inherently* applied to all
> the child tables too, and you shouldn't have the option. In general,
Would this be a simple change in parsing the statement to see if it has
any children and translate the statement accordingly?

> (mostly from Chris Bitmead, I think). ALTER TABLE really needs a
> reimplementation from the ground up, but I dunno when anyone will get
Considering how often Alter table is used, would it be reasonable to rip
out all the alter table code and just have it do a select into;drop;rename
that would be nice in that dropping/adding columns would be easy,
inheritance would (should) be preserved and it's simple.

Of course I wouldn't want to do this on a 5Gb table...

-Michael