Re: [INTERFACES] Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: mlinvill(at)winstar(dot)com
Cc: Daniel Stolk <stolkd(at)email(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface
Date: 1999-08-25 11:57:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Mark Linvill wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Daniel Stolk wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm needing to access my PostgreSQL database from the web, or actually
> >the customers need to.  I was originally using C with the libpq library,
> >but I was wondering if there are some programs out there that would make
> >it easier and faster for me to set things up?  If there aren't, what
> >kind of interface would be best to use?  I was looking at PHP, but I'm
> >not sure it will be as powerful as C, but maybe it is powerful enough.
> >

> IMHO, PHP is plenty powerful enough.  Development time is
> fabulously quick.  The only possible issue might be execution speed.
> Not that PHP is slow, but it can't beat a C CGI.

Actually, if you load PHP "as recommended", which is as an Apache module
vs using it as a CGI, it is faster then a straight C CGI ... my
preference, personally, remains using Perl CGIs (more flexible then Perl,
faster development time then C, and, if you use mod_perl, about the same
speed of execution as PHP-module)...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org