Re: Setting Defaults

From: Travis Ruthenburg <travis(at)wacko(dot)trickster(dot)net>
To: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <bga(at)mug(dot)org>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)cupid(dot)suninternet(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Setting Defaults
Date: 2000-05-24 19:48:51
Lists: pgsql-novice
I just happened upon
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#4.16.3>:
4.16.3) Wouldn't use of currval() and nextval() lead to a race condition
with other concurrent backend processes?

No. That has been handled by the backends.

This would leave me to believe currval does sprovide some sort of
atomicness, right?

Regards,

Travis Ruthenburg

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Billy G. Allie wrote:

> Travis Ruthenburg wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 May 2000, Billy G. Allie wrote:
> >
> > > Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > Which begs the question, is there any way to do this without calling on a
> > sequence? What if, for example, I was dealing with text in char fields? Or
> > is this something that should be done on the application side of things? I
> > just thought postgresql might be able to handle it.
>
> I would think that it's possible to do this with a trigger and some PL/pgSLQ code.  I think I will try and re-implement this functionality using a trigger to see if I can make it work.  I'll let you know the results.
> --
> ____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org
> |  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
> |-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie(at)email(dot)msn(dot)com
> |/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Patrick WelcheDate: 2000-05-24 22:40:57