Re: [HACKERS] web-based front end development

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] web-based front end development
Date: 1999-07-29 16:55:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Hi. There is interest at work in doing some fairly simple inventory
> control using a database. We've already got Postgres up and running
> (for obvious reasons) and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions
> for a good approach to app development for brower-based user
> interfaces.
>
> There are other applications which would be of interest, so something
> with some growth potential would be helpful.
>
> We have a bit of expertise in Java servlets, etc, so that is one
> option via the jdbc interface.
>
> Are there any options which are particularly "approachable" which
> would allow newbies to get something working if they have some
> existing code to look at?

Dmitry was working on something like that; I couldn't wait and wrote
one in C.  His is in perl. Handles inventory, invoice printing (one at a
time on demand), special prices and a few other minor things.  Probably
could use to be cleaned up some tho.  This one runs with Apache, but one
day I'll probably rewrite it to use my micro-webserver so a full web
server wouldn't be a requirement.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2