RE: [GENERAL] For data based web site, which RDBMS is better & wh y ?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
Cc: ralli(at)poboxes(dot)com, Kevin Lo <jwlo(at)ms11(dot)hinet(dot)net>, Dinesh Patil <dpatel(at)Synopsys(dot)COM>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] For data based web site, which RDBMS is better & wh y ?
Date: 1999-05-20 14:58:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Jackson, DeJuan wrote:

> The problem here is to find impartial comparisons.
> The question between MySQL and PostgreSQL usually come down to
> Do I care most about speed? - usually true for purely Web Apps.
> or
> Do I need transaction and the other features PostgreSQL offers? -
> which tends to only be true if you plan on using the database for things
> other than web development.

Actually, I tend to use transactions "and the other features" quite
extensively in my WWW apps...I like the fact that is an update to one
table in a multi-table update dies, the transaction aborts and no updates
happen...

> > 18 months ago when I went looking for a good RDBMS I chose PostgreSQL
> because I knew even though all I was currently doing was Web Apps I'd need a
> database that had fully functioning transactions, extensible types and
> functions, ... and I could always handle speed issues through whatever
> interface I choose to use (ie table caching).

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org