Logo issue ...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Logo issue ...
Date: 1999-04-23 22:48:32
Lists: pgsql-docs

Morning all...

Well, now I'm finally on something better then a 14.4, I rear my
head again :) God, I can't wait to get home to *my* computer with *real*
bandwidth *sigh*

There appears to be at least two points of view, currently, as far
as the work being done on logo's, and I'd like to somehow come to a
conclusion as to direction to take...

Several weeks back, Jan came up with a logo proposal that revolved
around the 'diamond' concept...I liked it, but pop'd up with my 'elephant'
request, since, IMHO, the elephant concept really hits home to what we
are...strong, steady, heavy-duty...some ppl hit on slow also, but (and I
can't remember who made this comment, sorry) someone else's came up with
something like 'ability to knock down trees'..the way it was worded,
obviously not that way, brought to mind our indexing...

To me, Jan's concept was clear and crisp...and incorporated ideas
from several ppl...

Then, Daniel took and made a 'cartoon-like' logo of an elephant
that he pointed me to, and, altho its not as crisp as Jan's concept, it
had more the FreeBSD(daemon)/Linux(penguin) look to it...

Both concepts have merit, and both, in my opinion, are well
done...and I really hate to be a critic when it comes to graphical design
:( 'Specially when I couldn't do any better, and definitely woudl do
worse :(

So, is it possible to adopt both, somehow? For instance, I don't
really see Daniel's design on the front of an O'Reilly book, where Jan's
would fit...but Daniel's would look great on a t-shirt. The nice thing
about Daniel's is that it transfer's well to various media, whereas the
'elephant in diamond' of Jan's is very medium specific...ie. looks great
on the WWW pages Dmitry has worked up, but doesn't necessarily print the
greatest...

My personal preference is to adopt both, but is this something
that is "allowed" from a market standpoint?

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org