Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Webpages Online

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Mike Meyer <mwm(at)phone(dot)net>
Cc: Oliver Andrich <olli(at)rhein-zeitung(dot)de>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, announce(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, webmaster(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Webpages Online
Date: 1999-04-09 12:19:16
Lists: pgsql-announce
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Mike Meyer wrote:

> How about ditching the frames entirely? Not only are they
> problematical from a UI perspective, they're now passe. See <URL:
> http://www.python.org/ > or <URL: http://www.freebsd.org/ > for a more
> modern design.
>
> Of course, pages that put everything in a table to do layout load slow
> and tend to come out ugly on anything that isn't pretty much a clone
> of the designers system, but they beat frames hollow.

Ya know what I'm finding really passe?  Ppl that come up with these
critisms but really don't present an alternative?  I personally like the
frames...I like not having to reload everything when only one piece
changes...I thnk it *looks* nice...

Of course, if you have a better idea of how the site should be lay'd out,
please feel free to provide a *visible* example of your thoughts...

 > > 	<mike
>
> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Oliver Andrich wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:44:19 +0200
> > From: Oliver Andrich <olli(at)rhein-zeitung(dot)de>
> > To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
> > Cc: announce(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, webmaster(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
> > Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Webpages Online
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > ok I am new to PostgreSQL and my mirror of the PostgreSQL pages is quite new,
> > but I have to comment on this webpage design. I am not sure on what machines
> > you work or what resolutions your display provides, but on my machine the page
> > uses only 1/2 of the possible space in the web browser and it is really ugly
> > to read the manuals in 16 line frame. Isn't it possible to design the frameset
> > in a more flexible way? The fixed heights of the individual rows are really,
> > really ugly.
> >
> > How about defining the top level frameset as <frameset border=0 frameborder=no
> > rows="120,*,10%"> or so. Mixing fixed values, wildcards and percentage values
> > is really bad style, but this is just a hint. And may be we should think about
> > displaying the elephant besides the logo, cause it wastes a lot of valuable
> > place in the middle frame.
> >
> > Just my $0.02.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> >     Oliver Andrich
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 04:48:29PM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > >
> > > The new web pages are now online.  All new look.  All new feel.  All new
> > > logos.  All new.................
> > >
> > > Vince.
> > > --
> > > ==========================================================================
> > > Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com   flame-mail: /dev/null
> > >        # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
> > >         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
> > >        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com
> > > ==========================================================================
> > >

> > --
> > Oliver Andrich, RZ-Online, Schlossstrasse Str. 42, D-56068 Koblenz
> > Telefon: +49-261-39210-40 Fax: -33 |       http://rhein-zeitung.de
> >                                    |            http://andrich.net
> > GMC d- s++:++ a- C++ UL++++ P-- L+++ E--- W++ N+ w-- O- M--
> > V- PS++ PE Y+ PGP+ t 5+ X R+ tv+ b++ DI++ D- G e h- r z+

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

pgsql-announce by date

Next:From: Mike MeyerDate: 1999-04-09 15:50:50
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] New Webpages Online