Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Webpages Online

From: Mike Meyer <mwm(at)phone(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Oliver Andrich <olli(at)rhein-zeitung(dot)de>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, announce(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, webmaster(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Webpages Online
Date: 1999-04-09 15:50:50
Lists: pgsql-announce
Did you go look at the two *visible* examples I gave of an alternative
design?

Since my graphic design skills are minimal, and the PostGreSQL pages
has display nearly *all* the problems associated with vanity sites
whose goal is to show off the graphic designers ability and not
provide information, I figured there wasn't much point, as I'd provide
a nice, simple site that loaded fast and displayed the information in
a readable form on pretty much any browser.

Since you whined about it, though - I did a quick front page
mockup. On the way I fixed the badly broken HTML by adding a TITLE,
making sure the image had an ALT tag so those who are using
non-graphical browsers, have images disabled, or have vision problems
can see them, fixed a typo in an anchor tag (may have introduced that
one myself - I can't check the original now), ditched the more
egregious of the formatting cruft, and in general made the HTML legal.

If you really want to see it, it's at <URL:
http://www.phone.net/home/mwm/postgresql.html >. It's not pretty - but
it can be bookmarked, and shows up sane in history lists, and I can
use it on my cell phone, none of which is true of either old site.

Interesting - the old site is back. It still has the frames (which, as
a number of people have pointed out, are problematical), and I suspect
the HTML is as broken as it was before, but haven't checked.

	<mike

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:19:16 -0300 (ADT)
> From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
> To: Mike Meyer <mwm(at)phone(dot)net>
> Cc: Oliver Andrich <olli(at)rhein-zeitung(dot)de>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>,
     announce(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, webmaster(at)postgreSQL(dot)org