Re: [HACKERS] Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu, Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)
Date: 1998-10-28 01:57:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Look in Makefile.global. It is huge, and very hard to understand, even
> for veteran developers. I agree people should be able to twiddle with
> Makefile.custom, but they MUST be required to supply the proper flags to
> configure. We can't go down the road of allowing them to avoid the
> 'configure' flags, and somehow enable things in Makefile.custom. There
> is no logical way to do that, and unless we want to prevent 'configure'
> from doing the things it does so well, we will have to live with that
> limitation.
>
> I have my configure command and flags in a script and use run it as part
> of the cvs update I do to keep my sources current.

Must agree here...that was what screwed me on the --with-perl :)
I had that set to, and tried to do a 'make install' as myself, which
*should* have worked, except that it tried to install perl stuff too...

I've never used Makefile.custom myself, as much because I never
remember it is there as that its never been required (configure *should*
handle all that)...

In fact...other then those that are "veterans", how many ppl out
there even know it exists? I think its more a legacy feature then
anything...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org