Re: [HACKERS] Release schedule

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Release schedule
Date: 1998-10-12 19:59:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Looking over the list of open items, it seems we are on target for a
> November 1 release. I think that is the date Marc had in mind, and it
> looks like we are in good shape, assuming I can fix the "vacuum crash"
> item.
>
> I don't think we can release without the 'ps' args fix, and we can't
> turn that off because it caused by the fork() removal I did long ago.

Most humble apologies...I have a bad hard drive in my machine that
I'm just recovering from (and awaiting replacement for *sigh*)...am
spending a good portion of today at the office trying to get things back
on track...

Currently am doing a build on Solaris x86/Sparc 2.6, as well as
FreeBSD, but the FreeBSD one is kind of a munged machine until my home
machine is fixed *sigh*

If I get a clean build off of both x86/Sparc of Solaris, and
unless there are any major objections, I'm going to put out a
beta2...'ps' args fix to follow shortly...

> Additions
> ---------
> test new cidr/IP address type(Tom Helbekkmo)
> complete rewrite system changes(Jan)
> CREATE TABLE test (x text, s serial) fails if no database creation permission
> regression test all platforms
> vacuum crash
>
> Serious Items
> ------------
> change pg args for platforms that don't support argv changes
> (setproctitle()?, sendmail hack?)
>
> Docs
> ----
> man pages/sgml synchronization
> generate html/postscript documentation
> make sure all changes are documented properly
>
> Minor items
> -----------
> cnf-ify still can exhaust memory, make SET KSQO more generic
> permissions on indexes: what do they do? should it be prevented?
> multi-verion concurrency control - work-in-progress for 6.5
> improve reporting of syntax errors by showing location of error in query
> use index with constants on functions
> allow chaining of pages to allow >8k tuples
> allow multiple generic operators in expressions without the use of parentheses
> document/trigger/rule so changes to pg_shadow create pg_pwd
> large objects orphanage
> improve group handling
> no min/max for oid type
> improve PRIMARY KEY handling
> generate postmaster pid file and remove flock/fcntl lock code
>

> --
> Bruce Momjian | http://www.op.net/~candle
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | (610) 853-3000
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 830 Blythe Avenue
> + Christ can be your backup. | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Marc G. Fournier scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Systems Administrator @ hub.org
scrappy(at){postgresql|isc}.org ICQ#7615664