Re: [INTERFACES] Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface

From: Mark Linvill <mlinvill(at)cioe(dot)com>
To: Daniel Stolk <stolkd(at)email(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface
Date: 1999-08-25 04:08:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Daniel Stolk wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm needing to access my PostgreSQL database from the web, or actually
>the customers need to. I was originally using C with the libpq library,
>but I was wondering if there are some programs out there that would make
>it easier and faster for me to set things up? If there aren't, what
>kind of interface would be best to use? I was looking at PHP, but I'm
>not sure it will be as powerful as C, but maybe it is powerful enough.

IMHO, PHP is plenty powerful enough. Development time is
fabulously quick. The only possible issue might be execution speed.
Not that PHP is slow, but it can't beat a C CGI.

You'll want to think long and hard about the security implications of
using PHP though. Well, actually this depends on who's doing the
development. If you're letting the customers do it, it's a bigger
issue.

There are plenty of links to code snippets, etc. on the PHP web site.
www.php.net

I've been developing C/C++/PHP/PostgreSQL/Apache web interfaces for
about 2 years now. I highly recommend PHP, as well as PostgreSQL.
:)

-Mark