Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

From: "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
To: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries
Date: 1998-10-12 05:57:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Billy G. Allie wrote:
> On UnixWare 7.0 (and Solaris systems, also) I export LD_RUN_PATH which
> contains the paths to the dynamic libraries.  When the linker runs, it
> incorporates the paths into the output file so that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not
> needed to find the needed dynamic libraries.

Damnit, I'm really getting annoyed by all of this...  An ELF system should
not be using ldconfig or LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find its libraries.

ELF executables are told where to find their binaries at compile time.  On
Solaris this involves using '-R/path/to/libs' to add the a path to be
compiled into the binary.  I believe this works for Linux/ELF as well.
FreeBSD/ELF is using -rpath I think, but someone should check. (I'm
converting my 3.0-current system to ELF at the moment but its only a
486dx50 so its kind of slow.)

If PostgreSQL is not doing this IT IS BROKEN.

Regardless, do whatever you want; I keep on fixing this myself when I
compile new releases so I'm not likely to notice any further brokeness.

Have a good one.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter(at)jurai(dot)net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |