Re: [sferac@bo.nettuno.it: Re: [HACKERS] BUG: NOT boolfield kills backend]

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, oliver(at)fritz(dot)traverse(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [sferac@bo.nettuno.it: Re: [HACKERS] BUG: NOT boolfield kills backend]
Date: 1998-09-22 00:42:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I don't see how we can ever duplicate all the tests everyone runs with
> their applications. I suppose it is possible, but as applications
> change to use new features, we would still be running the old
> application tests.

Just a side note on this thread...nothing prevents *add* to the
regression test, and, in fact, I see this all the time, especially as new
features are added. If someone comes up with a test that they feel
stresses an aspect of the server that we haven't thought of (so long as it
doesn't include adding 80meg of data to our backend), by all means, let us
know and throw patches our way that we can include.

If you want to 'volume' test it, regression tests aren't for
that...they are only meant to catch changes between versions or snapshots
as a result of a change somewhere else in the system...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org