Re: [HACKERS] What I'm working on

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: stuporg(at)erols(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What I'm working on
Date: 1998-08-24 02:34:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, I guess you could have both. I just think the normal user is going
> to prefer the span stuff better, but you have a good point. If we had
> one, we could buy time getting the other.

For whomever is implementing the row-span stuff, can something be
added that keeps track of number of rows that are spanned? ie. if most of
the rows are spanning the rows, then I would personally like to know that
so that I can look at dumping and reloading the data with a database set
to a higher blocksize...

There *has* to be some overhead, performance wise, in the database
having to keep track of row-spanning, and being able to reduce that, IMHO,
is what I see being able to change the blocksize as doing...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org