Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Boersenspielteam <boersenspiel(at)vocalweb(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products
Date: 1998-07-28 15:43:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Boersenspielteam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> let me add one thing here ... (if this comes a second time, of missed
> the first one ...)
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to get some backing from one of the
> commercial Linux distribution makers? Like Redhat supports Gnome or
> S.u.S.e supports XFree? What about GNU? Anyone listening?

RedHat supports Gnome vs KDE because Gnome is GPLd. GNU would
require a GPLd source code. We fall under Berkeley's CopyRight, not GPLs
CopyLeft, and we're quite happy with that...

> This would be major leap for PostgreSQL if someone financed two
> months of Vadim for example ...

As for '2 months' of Vadim...its more difficult for 1
person/company to pay for '2 months' of his time (or Bruce's or Thomas' or
Byron's, or...) then it would be for 10 ppl to share that financing...

I'm working on something that might make that a reality, hopefully
have something to "announce" early next week...