Re: [HACKERS] now 6.4

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: vadim(at)krs(dot)ru, dg(at)illustra(dot)com, miker(at)hub(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] now 6.4
Date: 1998-06-30 00:50:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > 	Now, I liked the idea that was presented about moving the
> > database directories out of the way and then moving them back in after an
> > initdb...is this not doable?  What caveats are there to doing this?
> > Individual database's will be missing fields added in the release upgrade,
> > so if you want some of the v6.4 new features, you'd have to dump the
> > individual database and then reload it, but if you don't care, you'd have
> > some optimizations associated with the new release?
>
> We will move the old data files out of the way, run initdb, reload a
> pg_dump with schema-only, then move the data files back into the proper
> locations, and perhaps drop/recreate all indexes.  They will have all
> the features.  They have just kept their raw data files.
>
> How long does re-indexing the tables take vs. reloading and re-indexing?

	Is re-indexing required?  With the old indexes work with a new
release, albeit slower?  Or just not work at all?

	As for dropping/recreating all indices...that isn't really so bad,
anyway...once all the data is there, th edatabase can go live...albeit
*very* slow, in some cases, if I have 4 indices on a table, each one built
should improve the speed of queries, but each build shouldn't limit the
ability for the database to be up...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org