Re: [HACKERS] RedHat 5.1 Postgres 6.3.2 problem resolved

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: De Clarke <de(at)ucolick(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RedHat 5.1 Postgres 6.3.2 problem resolved
Date: 1998-06-19 11:38:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, De Clarke wrote:

> The default RedHat install doesn't include pidentd, which
> apparently is now required by PG (?).  When I install the
> RPM for pidentd, I get past the "unrecognized authentication"
> problem.

check the pg_hba.conf file...ident authentication is an option but it
isn't "shipped" by us with it enabled...

> 86) psql -d template1
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running and accepting TCP/IP(with -i) connections at 'localhost' on port '5432'?

This one sounds like you have PGHOST set to a value, so its trying to use
a TCP/IP vs Unix Domain Socket for the connection.  Either restart
postmaster with the -i option, or set PGHOST to NULL (environment

> 87) telnet localhost 5432
> Trying
> 88)

	Same as above...without the -i option, it doesn't listen on port