Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: David Gould <dg(at)illustra(dot)com>
Cc: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections
Date: 1998-06-03 21:52:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, David Gould wrote:

> I am curious, what is it you are trying to accomplish with this? Are you
> trying to build a persistant log that you can query later for billing
> or load management/capacity planning information? Are you trying to monitor
> login attempts for security auditing? Are you trying to catch logins in
> real time for some sort of middleware integration?
>
> Here we are discussion solutions, but I don't even know what the problem
> is. So, please describe what is needed in terms of
> requirements/functionality.

I think the uses could be many. Keep track, on a per 'backend'
basis, max memory used during the life of the process, so that you can
estimate memory requirements/upgrades. Average query times for the
duration of the process? Or maybe even bring it down to a 'per query'
logging, so that you know what the query was, how long it took, and what
resources were required? Tie that to a table of processes, maybe with a
timestamp for when the process started up and when it started.

Then, using a simple query, you could figure out peak times for
processes, or number of processes per hour, or...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org