Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: David Gould <dg(at)illustra(dot)com>
Cc: brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization
Date: 1998-05-31 23:38:20
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On Sun, 31 May 1998, David Gould wrote:

> > On Sun, 31 May 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, this has frustrated me too.  Why are we not getting better mention
> > > from people?  I think we can now be classified as the 'most advanced'
> > > free database.  Can we do something about mentioning that to others?  We
> > > certainly are growing market share, but i guess I would like to see more
> > > transfers from other databases.
> >
> > 	I hate to use myself as an example...but why do I hate Linux?  And
> > why wouldn't I recommend anyone to use it?  Past Experience.
>
> Ok, why do you hate Linux? I have been using it since 94 and am happier than
> a pig in mud. Maybe I am easy to please (doubtful) or maybe I am missing
> something? I don't want to start an OS war here (there are enough of those
> in other places), so please reply (if you choose to do so) privately.

	No no, this wasn't meant to start a flame war...most of the
oldtimers here know of my hatred for Linux, and I've admitted often that
with Linux today, it is pretty unfounded...

	I used Linux pre-94...pre-v1.0..in a business/production
environment.  At that time, I was hard-core Linux advocate...it was the
greatest thing since sliced bread, but, the day I hoooked it onto the
Internet, keeping it alive more then 24hrs was a chore, and it was all in
the TCP/IP networking code...switched to *BSD and have been here ever
since...

	But, that first *bad* experience tends to stick with you, no
matter how good things become over time *shrug*  One becomes jaded, such
that when someone asks you what OS (or RDBMS) to use, you tend to
automatically warn against the one that you've personally had bad
experiences with...*shrug*

	Again, not a flame war, and not a "you should try it now"...I
have, and even looked at running Linux for a projeect here at the office
(but I found a simpler/better solution)...