Re: [GENERAL] RE: [HACKERS] error messages not only English

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
Cc: Peter Mount <peter(at)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>, "'Jose' Soares Da Silva'" <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>, "'hackers postgres'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] RE: [HACKERS] error messages not only English
Date: 1998-05-26 16:00:41
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On Tue, 26 May 1998, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> Peter Mount wrote:
> >
> > That sounds like a good idea.
> >
> > How about having them stored in a new system table (say pg_errormsg) which
> > contains each possible error in all the supported languages. That way, you
> > can have multiple language support when users from different countries use
> > the same server?
>
> Yes, this is nice. One note: server have to load from this table all messages
> in a language requested by user when switching to this language - it's not
> possible to read any table from elog() in most cases.

	Hrmmm...one thing to note with any of this is that by 'hardcoding'
in the errormsg itself, it makes it difficult to 'internationalize' a
program...in that I can't run a single server on my machine that can
easily deal with a 'French' customer vs an 'English' one, vs a 'Japanese'
one...I'd have to recompile for each.

	Vadim's other point, about putting this in the front end vs the
backend, I think, is more appropriate, that way it is application specific
vs server...