Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?
Date: 1998-05-23 17:45:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Odd...it was doing a 'second checkout' that screwed me, where i
> > didn't think it worked...try doing 'cvs -d <> checkout -P pgsql' and tell
> > me what that does...
>
> I'd expect that to choke, because you've specified a nonexistent
> repository...

<> == :pserver:anoncvs(at)postgresql(dot)org:/usr/local/cvsroot *grin*

> Why would you need to do a second checkout anyway? Once you've got
> a local copy of the CVS tree, cd'ing into it and saying "cvs update"
> is the right way to pull an update.

My understanding (and the way I've always done it) is that:

cvs checkout -P pgsql

Will remove any old files, update any existing, and bring in any
new...always worked for me...

> PS: for cvs operations across slow links, the Mozilla guys recommend
> -z3 (eg, "cvs -z3 update") to apply gzip compression to the data being
> transferred. I haven't tried this yet but it seems like a smart idea,
> especially for a checkout.

Geez, sounds like someone with enough knowledge to build a
'AnonCVS Instructions' web page? :)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org