Parse error at or near char

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Albert Hybl <ah(at)vojtek(dot)umaryland(dot)edu>
Subject: Parse error at or near char
Date: 1998-05-11 18:10:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

reforwarded to the proper one: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org

Hi Again,

While implementing the DBD-Pg-0.63 package, I ran their set of 33 tests.
The sequence failed on the second test with a fatal error that appears to
originate in PostgreSQL. I extracted test 2 from their test.pl file
and set it up to run like a Postgres regression test (shown at the end
of this post). The problem manifests itself as a 'parse error at or near
"char"'. Column 2 in the "builtin" table was assigned the name
"char". I changed it to "CHAR"; it still failed. I changed it
to "xhar" and it passed; but test 5 reported "not OK" and test 29 failed
from an unrelated cause. Using "khar", only test 29 failed. If I comment
out test 29, all of the other tests report OK. The names "cookie" and
"cook" are OK; it seems that only the word "char" offends test 2.

I did run the Postgres regressions test and the characters test all
passed! Flex on my system is at 2.5.3 and bison is at 1.22 . Are
these ok? What other utility version numbers should I check? Do
I have a configuration problem or is this a PostgreSQL bug?

Regards,
Albert

#---------------------------- An *.sql like test -- cut here

-- Test-2 extracted and shortened from the test.pl file of the DBD-Pg-0.63 package.

CREATE TABLE builtin (
bool bool,
-- char char, Test 2 Fatal: gives parse error at or near "char" from PostgreSQL
-- CHAR char, "
-- xhar char, ok Test 5 gives Not OK, Test 29 Fatal from PostgreSQL
-- khar char, ok Test 29 Fatal: from PostgreSQL Re: no pg_user table (?)
-- cookie char, ok
cook char,
char16 char16,
text text,