Re: ODBC FAQ

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: "Julia A(dot)Case" <julie(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, patrice(at)idf(dot)net, pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC FAQ
Date: 1998-04-18 03:48:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> I am still a bit confused as to how this is doing down. How are the FAQ's
> going to be up date?
>
> Will the ODBC FAQ be distributed exclusively with with the backend? I
> agree that there should not be different FAQs spread all over the
> internet. I would like to see one, though, that can be kept up to date
> on the web.

My preference with the ODBC drivers is to go the same route as the
JDBC drivers...integrate the docs/FAQs into the "Document Project" so that
its a "one stop shopping" sort of arrangement...

Hell, if its going to come to a "I want to do this, and I want to
do that" sort of war amongst two groups that are trying to focus on one
goal (which I'm *trying* to avoid), why don't you both create a mirror the
WWW site at www.postgresql.org, and help integrate everything in one
place? It makes a helluva lot more sense then pointing ppl at different
locations to find information...

If the one at MageNet is sooooo out of date, can you please point
Patrice at something newer to work on so that he can get it integrated
into our document tree?

As far as *that* is concerned, I've seen at least two postings
from Byronn about fixes/improvements for the drivers, but have yet to see
a patch posted to have it integrated into the main distribution/source
tree. The source tree *is* a moving target...putting in changing source
code is acceptable, as it means that the weekly snapshot that gets built
will have the newest ODBC source code in it...

Is this too much to be asking?

> Julia A.Case wrote:
>
> > Quoting Patrice Hd (patrice(at)idf(dot)net):
> > > Well, I volunteered in an earlier mail to do this transformation of the
> > > FAQ to SGML, during the next weeks, as well as updating the FAQ with new
> > > questions from the lists. If there are other faqs to include, may I have
> > > the urls, so that I can download and include them ?
> > >
> > There was the start of a FAQ at MageNet.com
> >
> > http://postodbc.MageNet.com
> >
> > Julie

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org