Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Peter T Mount <psqlhack(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Darren King <darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.
Date: 1998-03-24 07:12:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Peter T Mount wrote:

> I'm also thinking about JDBC. If you remove some features out of the core,
> and reorganise what OID's are associated with the types, then we would
> have a big performance hit when the driver starts up, and possibly make
> the driver even larger than it is now.

From discussions that the core have had on this topic over the
past couple of weeks, I think it will take *alot* to convince us to remove
core features.

char2/4/8/16 disappears *only* because they were redundant...it
had nothing to do with reducing the sizes of tables...char2 maps to
char(2), so why have both. Stuff like the geometric types aren't
redundant...they are themselves the "base" types...

Once v6.3.1 is finished up, I'm going to be looking at merging in
the ip_and_mac contrib stuff, and I think that Thomas is considering
moving the 64bit stuff into the core from contrib...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org