Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Darren King <darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.
Date: 1998-03-23 22:37:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Darren King wrote:

> If for posterity alone, I'm willing to move the char[24816] code to contrib.
> I already have the create and load statements in an sql file, just have to
> polish the Makefile a little.  If not with the distribution, then perhaps
> this could be at the web site for downloading.
>
> Having the code available for loading might be easier for persons such as
> Tatsuo instead of having their users complain of something disappearing.
>
> My only intention in doing this is to lighten up the postgres core, not to
> force others to change their existing code.

	Unless there is a proven performance boost to removing things from
the core, which, at this point in time, hasn't been demonstrated,
*nothing* should be removed from the core...

	...in fact, I want to bring in the IP code from contrib as part of
the core yet...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org