Re: [QUESTIONS] Installation Postgresql95 on linux slackware

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Ronald Cole <ronald(at)ridgecrest(dot)ca(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] Installation Postgresql95 on linux slackware
Date: 1998-02-25 21:43:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Ronald Cole wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:
> > What version? Postgres95, as a name, died *months* ago, and
> >several releases back...
>
> And since you've practically removed what made it a postgres database,
> I would recommend you change the name yet again. I was quite familiar
> with the innovative feature set of postgres, and was quite suprised to
> discover that you've practically removed most of them. How about
> calling your current project "gnubase"?

For starters, there is nothing GNU about this, other then the fact
that we have now included the ODBC drivers that fall under LGPL...

Second, over the past two years, we have revisited this, I
believe, twice, with you being the second one. Discussing this between
you and I would be useless, as there is alot that *I* don't know about the
system, so I'm CC'ng this to pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)(dot)(dot)

I'm curious as to what, from the 'innovative feature set of
postgres' has disappeared? The only major thing that *I* know of that has
disappeared (since we took over development from Jolly/Andrew) is the
removal of time travel, and there is a README in the contrib/spi directory
that details how to recreate this using triggers, as required, so instead
of overall database overhead suffering because *everything* used time
travel, only the individual tables use it...

Again, I am interested in knowing how much we have removed, and by
discussing it in pgsql-hackers, I imagine that there will be a much
broader knowledge base of ppl that can explain the whys (and work arounds)
of each...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org