JDBC and getTableTypes problem

From: Jim Carroll <jim(at)carroll(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC and getTableTypes problem
Date: 1998-08-24 02:33:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I am having difficulty try to get the getTableTypes() interface of JDBC
functioning correctly with Postgresql 6.3.2. When I try to loop through the
TABLE_TYPE attributes, all I can retrieve are 6 copies of the type 'SYSTEM

I am running these versions of software:

Postgresql 6.3.2

JDK 1.1.6.V98-8-14

FreeBSD 2.2.7

Here is the output from my sample program:

instantiate postgresql.Driver
Connect to database
The following types of tables are available in PostgreSQL:
SYSTEM INDEX
SYSTEM INDEX
SYSTEM INDEX
SYSTEM INDEX
SYSTEM INDEX
SYSTEM INDEX

Here is the program that generated this output:

import java.sql.*;

public class TableTypes {

String url = "jdbc:postgresql:mysql";
Connection con;

try {
System.out.println("instantiate postgresql.Driver");
Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");
}
catch(java.lang.ClassNotFoundException e) {
System.err.print("ClassNotFoundException: ");
System.err.println(e.getMessage());
return;
}

try {
System.out.println("Connect to database");
con = DriverManager.getConnection(url,"","");

DatabaseMetaData dbmd = con.getMetaData();
String dbmsName = dbmd.getDatabaseProductName();
ResultSet rs = dbmd.getTableTypes();
System.out.print("The following types of tables are ");
System.out.println("available in " + dbmsName + ": ");

while(rs.next()) {
String tableType = rs.getString("TABLE_TYPE");
System.out.println(" " + tableType);
}

rs.close();
con.close();
}
catch(SQLException ex) {
System.err.println("SQLException: " + ex.getMessage());
}
}
}

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. If someone has the
time, maybe you could try this example on your system, and see if you get
the same result.

Thanks.

---
Jim C., President | C A R R O L L - N E T, Inc.
201-488-1332 | New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
www.carroll.com |
www.message-server.com | Carroll-Net Message Server.