Re: problem connecting from another host

From: Frank Miles <fpm(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problem connecting from another host
Date: 2001-06-14 04:23:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Frank Miles <fpm(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu> writes:
> > The error log shows:
>
> > No pg_hba.conf entry for host abc.de.fg.hij, user fpm, database fpm
>
> > while in the pg_hba.conf I have an entry:
>
> > host fpm abc.de.fg.hij 255.255.255.255 trust
>
> > (Initially it wasn't "trust", but first I want to get *some* connection).
>
> That looks fine to me, assuming that "abc.de.fg.hij" actually stands for
> the numeric IP (*not* DNS name) of the client machine.

Yes, it's the numerical IP#. It became clear pretty rapidly that the
DNS string wasn't working at all.

> Sometimes people are confused about what IP address they're really
> connecting from, if they are running any sort of virtual IP or
> multi-interface setup. Might wanna double check it. However, the
> error message should show the source IP, so you probably would have
> noticed already if that were it.

That's not the problem. Both machines are properly configured with static
IP's. No ipmasq or NAT. I've also done tcpdumps that confirm the two
systems' trying to establish a connection.

> If you are looking only at the error message returned to the client, try
> looking in the postmaster log as well. Sometimes there's extra info
> written to the log.

The log message shown (sorry for not being clear about it) _is_ from the
database server system's /var/log/postgresql.log .

The only thing I can imagine might be the problem is that client system
doesn't have postgres loaded. I'm trying to access the server via
Python/PyGreSQL. Actually I'm trying to enable access for some Win9x
based systems, again via Python/PyGreSQL. The error message certainly
doesn't make it seem like this should be a problem, but error messages
aren't always correct in their assessment.

I'm mystified. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

-frank