Re: libpq.so

From: <ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq.so
Date: 2004-06-20 23:08:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
> <ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca> writes:

> > The most verbose solution I've seen, is to "copy" libpq.so.3 to
> > libpq.so.2 so that ogo will find a libpq.so library. I would
> > guess a symbolic link would actually be better, but the question I
> > have is:
> > Do all of the functions common to libpq.so in version 2 and 3
> > have the same parameters?
>
> There are some incompatibilities (which is why we changed the major
> version number). As best I recall at the moment, the incompatibilities
> would only affect applications that use LISTEN/NOTIFY, which not many
> do. So the above would probably work, but it's not certain.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting some incompatibilities between
different major version numbers. Which is why this advice on the
OpenGroupware forums seemed so strange. But, I did set up the
symlink (libpq.so.2 -> libpq.so.3), and Open Groupware does at
least start. I guess I'll exercise it a bit to see if anything
crashes it.

Gord