Re: spatial index

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: James Reid <james(dot)reid(at)ed(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: spatial index
Date: 2001-11-29 14:11:30
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, James Reid wrote:

> hi - a very simple question from a newbie. Im tyring to outdo my colleagues Perl code (running on the same machine) for spatial operations (point-in-poly) but on a vanilla install of postgres 7.1 his perl is 20 times faster!! Ive no spatial index built on the polygon but I cant get one built as it complains of a tuple_row error which  i assume relates to the use of the default 8Kb block size - my question is - how do I rebuild with a bigger block size so as I can build an rtree on the poly? (or can someone give me some idea of how postgres spatial operations perform relative to other solutions - Id like to employ postgres for a gazetteer service but I need to get the speed of response up....any ideas/thoughts appreciated)

[ Sorry, I'm not going to reformat his paragraph. ]
Are you running 7.1?  That gets around some of the tuple size
issues.  There is a Spatial DBase add-on to PostgreSQL
called PostGIS (?).  You might want to look around the
OpenGIS consortium website to get info on this, and other
spatial oriented things.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)