Re: spatial index

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: James Reid <james(dot)reid(at)ed(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: spatial index
Date: 2001-11-29 14:11:30
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, James Reid wrote:

> hi - a very simple question from a newbie. Im tyring to outdo my colleagues Perl code (running on the same machine) for spatial operations (point-in-poly) but on a vanilla install of postgres 7.1 his perl is 20 times faster!! Ive no spatial index built on the polygon but I cant get one built as it complains of a tuple_row error which  i assume relates to the use of the default 8Kb block size - my question is - how do I rebuild with a bigger block size so as I can build an rtree on the poly? (or can someone give me some idea of how postgres spatial operations perform relative to other solutions - Id like to employ postgres for a gazetteer service but I need to get the speed of response up....any ideas/thoughts appreciated)

[ Sorry, I'm not going to reformat his paragraph. ]
Are you running 7.1?  That gets around some of the tuple size
issues.  There is a Spatial DBase add-on to PostgreSQL
called PostGIS (?).  You might want to look around the
OpenGIS consortium website to get info on this, and other
spatial oriented things.

Matter Realisations
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @
780/993-1274 (cell)