Re: Automation again more info.. HELP

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: Macky <macky(at)edsamail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Automation again more info.. HELP
Date: 2000-10-13 12:44:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Macky wrote:

> Hi thanks for the suggestion but as much as possible I want to minimize
> production of our servers.... if going to use an SQL SELECT it would have
> great impact on performace before we usually do a COPY ...

There must be something to this situation that I am
missing. If you need to find the information, the computer
has to do work. What cron "buys" you, is the ability to
schedule the work at some time of the day when the load
is low enough to support this added computation. If there
is no time of the day when this is true, the problem you
have is that you don't have enough computing power, and you
need to buy some more hardware. Even doing a pgdump
to a remote machine is going to take CPU.

Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)