Re: Automation again more info.. HELP

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: Jerome Macaranas <macky(at)edsamail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Automation again more info.. HELP
Date: 2000-10-13 02:48:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Jerome Macaranas wrote:

> Sorry about the lack of info..
>
> OS: Redhat 6.2
> mailbox01-->Postgresql 6.5
> mailbox02-->Postgresql 7.02
> Preferred language-->TCL

PostgreSQL can be run in one of two configurations: allow
network connections or not allow network connections.
If both computers allow network connections, either
can be "home". If one allows network connections and the
other doesn't, I would use the non-network connection
as home. I believe there is a PG library for tcl, but
if it is like perl, it is specific to a version of
Postgresql. Which complicates things a little.

Which ever machine you decide to call home, I think
you should put your query server (or whatever you
want to call it). This is what is started by cron
(or you could just have it run all the time :-).

(I am going to assume these two computers agree what time it is.)
Your server is probably going to "calculate" an SQL
SELECT query for each server, and it is going to
start a "remote" script which is linked against the
specific postgresql library needed for that machine.
This script will take as an argument, the SQL statement
to execute. The script will execute the SQL statement,
and then it will open a socket to the query server to give
it the results. You might want to open 2 sockets, if
two way communication is needed.

But that is how I think I would approach the problem.
However, I have never implemented something like this,
just read bits here and there. Maybe someone else
has some better idea.

Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)