Re: Need more help on data bases over a intranet

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: "Fernando M(dot) Maresca" <fmaresca(at)netverk(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need more help on data bases over a intranet
Date: 2000-10-13 00:31:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Fernando M. Maresca wrote:

> Thanks for your help.
> Ok, my problem is how send to the DB server the data entered trough the
> browser when the user fills the forms, and how can I retrieve the data
> from the server when is needed to display it in the web page over the
> intranet.
> There are no problems to import the text mode data bases.
> May be you can tell me how I can rewrite the web pages, because now those appends lines
> to a text file, and I'm trying to append records to a data base in the
> server.

[ I need to watch for me making spelling mistakes :-) ]

It sounds like you know how to write HTML forms, you now
want to get this information into a database.

There are LOTS of ways to do this, I have no idea which is
going to work out best for you. I am going to suggest that
you use PHP. PHP knows how to talk to many databases, including
PostgreSQL. Most of the examples you will find are for
PHP talking to MySQL, but it is not too hard to convert these
manually to PostgreSQL, and there is one program registered
at freshmeat.net which can do this automatically.

Basically, instead of ... action="page.html" or
action="page.cgi", you end up writing action="page.php".
Then you write a file, (page.php) which has a beginning
and end (preamble and epilogue) that are html and a center
part which is PHP. The PHP language has commands for
connecting to databases, SELECTing records, INSERTing
data, and all the other things you might do with SQL.

I can't say I know exactly what to write, I am still learning
this myself. There are books out there on PHP. One place
to look on the Internet is http://www.php.net/

Hopefully others will be able to help, but if not, I can
type in a couple of examples from the book I am reading.

Other ways to do this, embed perl in HTML, embed HTML
in perl, Mason, ASP, .... Too much variety. But PHP
at least has lots of followers.

Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)