Re: .bashrc for postgres user

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: Steve Petersen <spetey(at)umich(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .bashrc for postgres user
Date: 2000-09-05 15:05:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Steve Petersen wrote:

> Is there something I don't get about having an unusual home directory
> like /var/lib/pgsql for the postgres user (in the RPM installation of
> pgsql)? I like to start postmaster manually, but I don't like to type
> the data directory each time. So I tried exporting EDITOR and PGDATA
> env variables in postgres's .bashrc (in /var/lib/pgsql), but it doesn't
> work. If I type '. .bashrc' before typing 'postmaster', though, it
> works fine. What gives?

Aren't there 2 PG variables to export? I'm not sure, but I believe
that only the original Bourne shell is the only one which doesn't
have 2 RC files. One which gets read only at login (when the name
of the shell is actually -sh), and the other everytime a shell
is spawned. Or something like that. Anyway, quite a few init
files seem to include (source) a file of environment information,
so it may be that your setup is somehow deficient. You could
always set the -x switch at the top of your .bashrc file, and
if all the instructions get echoed to the screen, you will
know that the file is being read. This may also show you why
those particular variables are not being exported.

Sorry for the vague answer.
Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca