Re: 7.0.2 regressions testing on Sparc running 2.5.1

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.0.2 regressions testing on Sparc running 2.5.1
Date: 2000-09-01 23:59:26
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca writes:
> > Is this normal, that it is the same in 2 modules, but not
> > the third?
>
> Looks normal enough to me --- that's just from the linker merging
> modules together.
>
> My bet is that you are chasing the wrong idea.  I doubt there's anything
> special about CurrentMemoryContext; probably it just happens to be the
> first symbol the linker tries (and fails) to link while loading your
> shared object file.  I'd be looking at issues like whether you have
> things configured for dynamic shared-object linking at all.  For
> example, on HPUX it's necessary to use a special linker switch (-E,
> I think) while linking the main "postgres" executable, or else its
> global symbols won't be set up to be accessible by dynamically loaded
> objects.  Dunno if there's a similar incantation needed on your
> platform, but that seems like the sort of issue to be looking at.

Okay, I'll try one more day of trying to build this (Tuesday
I guess).  If I am still not get anywhere I will have to go
pick up a binary that someone else has fought with.  If
anyone ese has words of wisdom to help, they would be much
appreciated.

Have a great Labour Day weekend people!
Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca