More fun installing 7 from source

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: More fun installing 7 from source
Date: 2000-08-23 00:29:20
Lists: pgsql-novice
Maybe I'm just being dense, but it seems some steps
are missing in the Install documentation.  I can compile
things fine (as the user postgres) with make all after
inserting an unconditional #include <stdarg.h> on my
Solaris 2.5.1 box.  Well, almost fine.  Typically
one can run a make test aftter a make, but it appears
that make test cannot be run until after make install.
So fine, I do an install (prefix is defined to be
/export/home3/postgres), as the user postgres.  Everything
except the perl modules will install.  I have to rerun
make install as root to get the perl modules into
/usr/local with the rest of the perl stuff.  This business
about most of the postgres stuff sitting in a directory
tree owned by postgres, but perl owned by root,
also keeps make runcheck (I think this is the parallel
check) from running.  I guess I'll have to manually do
something different tomorrow.  I suppose I could ask
the powers that be for more diskspace, which would get
around a bunch of these problems.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca