Re: tuple maximum size; plpgsql to sendmail?

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: ERIC Lawson - x52010 <eric(at)bioeng(dot)washington(dot)edu>
Cc: pg-novice list <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tuple maximum size; plpgsql to sendmail?
Date: 2000-07-13 23:01:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, ERIC Lawson - x52010 wrote:

> Hi, and TIA,
>
> Can anybody here answer these questions:
>
> 1) I've seen references to the maximum size of a tuple as being
> configurable within the range of 8 to 32K, yet the incorporation of blobs
> seems to contradict any maximum size constraint. Is there a maximum tuple
> size, and if so, what is it? (To be sure, the server environment limits
> the size of a tuple, attribute and class, but does postgreSQL imposes
> limits itself?)

As pointed out, the default maximum size of a tuple is slightly
less than 8k (but can be increased at compile time). Think of
a blob as a pointer to storage, so the pointer takes 4 bytes
(or something small like that). If you want to search inside
the blob for things, you need to do that with the help of
external programs (as far as I can tell so far).

Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca