Re: Installing DBD

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: Stephen Lawrence <logart(at)dairypower(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing DBD
Date: 2000-07-08 05:48:11
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Stephen Lawrence wrote:

> Hello, I tried to install the DBD::Pg module from CPAN and got the following
> message during installation...
> Going to build M/ME/MERGL/DBD-Pg-0.93.tar.gz
> Configuring Pg
> Remember to actually read the README file !
> please set environment variables POSTGRES_INCLUDE and POSTGRES_LIB !
> Running make test
>   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
> Running make install
>   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install
> I have seen that "environment variables" message before in other things.
> What can I do?

The one environment variable most people seem to know
about is PATH.  If you `echo $PATH` it will show you
the contents of the PATH environment variable.  Typically
something like:

Now the README file for DBD::Pg mentions that when you
compile DBD::Pg, it needs to know the absolute pathname
to some PostGreSQL related include files and libraries.
This is what you need to assign to the POSTGRES_INCLUDE
and POSTGRES_LIB environment variables.  Unfortunately,
how you set these variables depends on what "shell"
you are running.  If your PostGreSQL include header
files are in /usr/include/postgresql/libpq++ the
following might be what you need:
setenv POSTGRES_INCLUDE=/usr/include/postgresql/libpq++

And similarly for the LIB file.  The README will tell you
what file those 2 variables point at.  Then you should
find where they are on your machine, and set them, and
then rerun make.

Matter Realisations
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @