Re: Installing DBD

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: Stephen Lawrence <logart(at)dairypower(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing DBD
Date: 2000-07-08 05:48:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Stephen Lawrence wrote:

> Hello, I tried to install the DBD::Pg module from CPAN and got the following
> message during installation...
>
> CPAN.pm: Going to build M/ME/MERGL/DBD-Pg-0.93.tar.gz
>
> Configuring Pg
> Remember to actually read the README file !
> please set environment variables POSTGRES_INCLUDE and POSTGRES_LIB !
> Running make test
> Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
> Running make install
> Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install
>
> I have seen that "environment variables" message before in other things.
>
> What can I do?

The one environment variable most people seem to know
about is PATH. If you `echo $PATH` it will show you
the contents of the PATH environment variable. Typically
something like:
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin

Now the README file for DBD::Pg mentions that when you
compile DBD::Pg, it needs to know the absolute pathname
to some PostGreSQL related include files and libraries.
This is what you need to assign to the POSTGRES_INCLUDE
and POSTGRES_LIB environment variables. Unfortunately,
how you set these variables depends on what "shell"
you are running. If your PostGreSQL include header
files are in /usr/include/postgresql/libpq++ the
following might be what you need:
POSTGRES_INCLUDE=/usr/include/postgresql/libpq++
export POSTGRES_INCLUDE
setenv POSTGRES_INCLUDE=/usr/include/postgresql/libpq++

And similarly for the LIB file. The README will tell you
what file those 2 variables point at. Then you should
find where they are on your machine, and set them, and
then rerun make.

Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca