Re: dump/restore to 7.4devel giving "[archiver (db)] error returned by PQputline"

From: "Ron Mayer" <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dump/restore to 7.4devel giving "[archiver (db)] error returned by PQputline"
Date: 2003-04-30 20:50:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom wrote...
> > > [from older msg] If you are running this across a TCP socket,
> > > maybe you could capture the traffic with tcpdump --- if so,
> > > looking at the last few dozen packets in each direction would
> > > be mighty useful ...]
> >
> > Later, (though probably not til the weekend) I'd be happy to try
> > the tcpdump if that's a better tool, though; since it sounds like
> > the new protocol should have recovered more gracefully than it did.
>
> Yes, there's still the question of why it lost sync after the first
> error. Please investigate when you get a chance.

I've never used tcpdump, so any pointers to what's valuable to
you would be appreciated.

Is
tcpdump -X -x -s 8192 -i any port 5432 | tail -[a_few_thousand]
the most useful to you? Or are other flags better?

> [quoted out of order]
> [...]the fix to emit "\r" [...] was applied between 7.2 and 7.2.1[...]
>
> If that's an actual 7.2 installation, I can offer you many excellent
> reasons why you should update it to 7.2.4 forthwith ...

Well, the system it's running has been working flawlessly over a year,
and due to changing job priorities and conservatism about touching
working systems I'm reluctant. :-) The hard disk space (160G) will
probably fill up in Q4 this year, so I pointed the new guys looking
at 7.3.X or 7.4.X for the next generation system, hence this discovery.

Ron