Re: SQL profiler feature in Pgsql?

From: "Robert J(dot) Sanford, Jr(dot)" <rsanford(at)nolimitsystems(dot)com>
To: <Pgsql-Novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL profiler feature in Pgsql?
Date: 2002-04-19 03:57:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

will do!

at its simplest the mssql profiler is a remote client that
provides the ability to trace all of the sql commands that
are being executed against a database. when initiating a
trace you specify the server that you have admin priveleges
on. you watch commands fly across the screen until you have
seen enough and then stop the trace to figure out what you
need to do from there.

your results are presented in a grid that shows all of the
activity along with other information such as the user name
that executed the commands, the amount of cpu time the
command took to execute, the absolute clock time the command
took to execute, how many reads, how many writes, the client
process id, and so forth and so on. the columns displayed in
the grid are customizeable with some reasonable default list
of columns displayed.

you may also apply filters to limit which events are
actually displayed to you - only on a particular databse on
the server, only by a particular user id, only those events
that require a certain number of writes or reads or cpu time
to complete, only those events that involve invoking a
particular stored procedure, and so forth and so on.

another feature of the profiler is that it allows you replay
a captured trace in a step-wise fashion. if you have something
in a large batch that is failing and want to winnow down you
can step through the replay until the failure occurs. just like
an ide debugger but without the watch window.

there is also an index tuning wizard that will try to walk you
through suggestions on how to optimize your indices based on
the performance of the trace that you just collected.

being able to watch what is happening live very nice.

rjsjr

> "Robert J. Sanford, Jr." <rsanford(at)nolimitsystems(dot)com> writes:
> > what about just the activity display that the mssql profiler
> > generates?
>
> Please don't assume that the rest of us are familiar with mssql.
> If you're interested in a feature then you should describe what
> it does.

hmmmmmm.... parsing the text above trying to determine if there
is any rancor in the statement.... nothing overt so i must act
under the assumption that the terseness is due to the late hour,
under-caffeination, and/or my lack of self-esteem and always
looking for complete validation and assuming if i'm not being
100% validated then i'm being hammered.... okay, not being
flamed so i will be happy! especially since i've got a cold RC
Cola in my hand!