Problem installing Postgresql 8 on Win 2000

From: "Richard Luckhurst" <rickl(at)soundadvice(dot)aunz(dot)net>
To: "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem installing Postgresql 8 on Win 2000
Date: 2005-08-02 22:45:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hello All

I am trying to use the pginstaller to install on a Win2000 machine. I do
have NOD32 installed but as I notice in the FAQ there might be problems I
have disabled it. I am running the install with all default options and my
install fails when initdb tries to run. I get a PostgreSQL 8.0 popup box.

Failed to run initdb: 1!
Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\tmp\initdb.log'

That logfile gets down to

creating template1 database in C:/Program files/PostgreSQL/8.0/data/base/1
... Bad command or file name
could not write to child process: Invalid argument
initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/8.0/data"

I tried when beta 1 first came out to install PostgreSQL on a Win2000
computer and got similar errors and could never get to the bottom of the
problem. I now need to get PostgreSQL working to support a customers
application so am prepared to put a lot more time into debugging if anyone
out there can help.

Regards

Richard
Richard Luckhurst