Re: Core dump on PG 7.1.3

From: "David Esposito" <dvesposito(at)newnetco(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Core dump on PG 7.1.3
Date: 2002-04-02 14:10:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that my GDB debugging skills are not all that
strong ... ;)

Here's what I did to compile postgres 7.1.3

./configure --enable-debug
gmake CPPFLAGS=-DALLOW_ABSOLUTE_DBPATHS all
gmake install

(i could see that it was compiling debug info into the executables since the
"-g" flag was being used with the gcc commands)

So then I fired up postgres and managed to get it to crash again ...

I changed to the directory containing the core dump and ran gdb

gdb -c core

once GDB started, i typed "bt" and, again, i just got the hex addresses and
no pretty function names or line numbers ...

am I doing something wrong?

Core was generated by `postgres: postgres bnmail [local] UPDATE '.
#0 0x080b992b in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x080b992b in ?? ()
#1 0x080ba4b1 in ?? ()